Drumstruck, created by Warren Lieberman and Kathy-Jo Wein, premiered in Johannesburg in 2002 and has since become a phenomenon, touring the world with sold out shows in New York, Japan, Australia, China, Vietnam, and South Africa.
The show was billed as the first interactive drum-theatre experience, and has won over audiences world-wide with it’s exhilarating presentation of African beats and explosive energy.
Drumstruck made its New York debut on June 16th 2005 at the prestigious Dodger stages, situated off Broadway, a mere 200 meters from Times Square and ran to critical acclaim for a year and a half. Drum Struck has toured to Japan every summer since 2008, hosted by Japanese producer Horipro.
The brainchild of the Drum Cafe’s Warren Lieberman and co-created with Kathy-Jo Wein, Drum Struck premiered in Johannesburg, South Africa in 2002. It has since become a phenomenon, touring the world with shows in New York, Japan, Australia, China, Vietnam, and South Africa.
The show was billed as the first interactive drum-theatre experience, and has won over audiences world-wide with its exhilarating presentation of African beats and explosive energy. This one of a kind show provides every audience member with a drum to play along with the on stage performance.
For the fifth year in a row the smash hit musical Drum Struck toured Japan in 2012. Playing to sold out houses and receiving standing ovations at every venue, this unique phenomenon, rooted in African culture, is a thoroughly engaging spectacle that provides the audience with an hour and 20 minutes of pure interactive fun and entertainment that is perfect for the whole family.
1. Drum Struck created, first shows in Johannesburg at The Theatre on the Square, The Market Theatre and in Pretoria at The State Theatre
1. Australia, Sydney season at The Star City Casino
2. China, tours to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, and a regional tour of Hunan province
3. Vietnam tour to Ha Noi
1. New York, 640 performances at The Dodgers Stages, Off-Broadway, New York City
1. China, Nanjing International Theatre festival
2. China – Performed some Drum Struck elements during Beijing Olympics opening ceremony
3. Japan – 2 weeks in Tokyo at Galaxy Theatre
1. Japan – 2 weeks in Tokyo – 3 weeks touring around Japan
1. Members of Drum Struck perform with Shakira, K’Naan at FIFA World Cup Opening Ceremony
2. Japan – 2 weeks Tokyo – 3 weeks touring around Japan
3. South Africa – 2 weeks at prestigious Nelson Mandelas Square during FIFA world Cup
1. Japan – 1 week Tokyo – 4 weeks touring around Japan
1. Japan, summer tours, season at The Galaxy Theatre Tokyo plus a regional tour
© 2013 Drumstruck. All Rights Reserved.